October 11, 2011

Alfredo D'amato: Pushing limits in Angola


Alfredo D'amato resides in Italy. His work at the LagosPhoto festival is part of a series about Luanda, Angola. The Luanda series is part of a series he made about ex-Portugese colonies. "Angola to me, was super intense. It made me realize I had capacities I never knew I had. Luanda is a city originally built for five hundred thousand citizens and nowadays it is home to five million people. There is a lot of pollution, I got sick, it is the most expensive city in the world, the divide between rich and poor is extreme, there is hardly any electricity and people were aggressive towards the camera. Man, it was extreme in almost every way. But to be honest, I like to be pushed to the extreme. Because also on the same hand, the music is wonderful and you see people working hard to survice. It was a great experience.'

No comments:

Post a Comment